- The Canal till Vias -
Connected to it are Toulouse and the Garonne with the port of Sète.
The Canal du Midi, with a length of 241 km, was inaugurated in the spring of 1681 by Louis XIV.
Pierre Paul Riquet, who created this masterpiece, died before the canal was completed.
Its apex is of 189 m, therefore needing a large number of sluices.
There are currently 63 sluices with 98 lock systems in operation.
The 9 Fonserannet sluices at Béziers are a special attraction.
Similarly, the 240m-long canal bridge over the river Orb, while the Malpas canal tunnel
has a length of 160 meters and crosses the Ensérune mountain.
It is about 20 meters wide and approximately 2.50 m deep.
The are described here.
Ouvrage de Libron
During thunderstorms, in spring and autumn it becomes a raging torrent.
The river Libron usually leads little water and this can be mixed easily with the water of the canal .
The river was therefore divided in front of the Canal du Midi in two arms.
This encounter four weirs, which are closed. At high tide at these weirs tubs are docked by a mechanism.
So now eight wells span the Canal. The weirs are now open and the waters of the Libron now passes through the Canal.
After the Canal, the two arms of the river Libron are recombined.
During the crossover at high tide shipping on the Canal is not possible!
A viaduct over the river was due to the small difference in height, not to be realized,
so engineer Urbain Magues erected this building in 1858. It replaced a construction from 1767.
|- The Canal around Béziers -||- The Canal in Narbonne -||- The Canal in Paraza -|
- The Canal Carcassonne - Naurouze -
- The Canal in Toulouse -
- Page 1 -
Copyright © 2004 Ingo Schreiber. Home Up Back Castles of Cathars Canal du Midi Travel reports Castles of the Loire Contact