- Besançon -

Besançon

20100714_0510.jpg

Already in the Bronze Age, Gallic tribes were settled within the Doubsschleife.

Vesontio was the capital of the Sequani. Due to its strategic location,
In the year 58 BC Julius Caesar the city as a base.

In the Middle Ages, Besançon belonged to Burgundy and then to the Holy Roman Empire.
But since 1493 independent of the princes of the area, Besançon became a free Imperial city.

1674, Besançon and the entire Franche-Comté were conquered by the Sun King and 1678
In the framework of the peace treaties of Nijmegen to France.

The Zidadelle of Besançon was built between 1668 and 1683 by Vauban

and is considered one of his masterpieces. It occupies an area of 11 hectares and Located 100m above the city. It now houses a zoo, an aquarium and various museums. more about this...
Today Besançon is the prefecture of the Doubs department.
The pictures below show Besançon from a boat tour. Then follow some pictures of the citadel as well as of Dôle and Quingey.


20100714_0511.jpg20100714_0512.jpg
20100714_0513.jpg20100714_0514.jpg
20100714_0515.jpg20100714_0516.jpg
20100714_0517.jpg20100714_0518.jpg
20100714_0519.jpg20100714_0520.jpg
20100714_0521.jpg20100714_0522.jpg
20100714_0523.jpg20100714_0524.jpg
20100714_0526.jpg20100714_0527.jpg

Pictures of the Citadel

20100714_0527.jpg



20100714_0528.jpg20100714_0529.jpg
20100714_0530.jpg20100714_0531.jpg
20100714_0532.jpg20100714_0533.jpg



Continue with Dole and Quingey.