During thunderstorms, in spring and autumn it becomes a raging torrent.
The river Libron usually leads little water and this can be mixed easily with the water of the canal .
The river was therefore divided in front of the Canal du Midi in two arms.
This encounter four weirs, which are closed. At high tide at these weirs tubs are docked by a mechanism.
So now eight wells span the Canal. The weirs are now open and the waters of the Libron now passes through the Canal.
After the Canal, the two arms of the river Libron are recombined.
During the crossover at high tide shipping on the Canal is not possible!
A viaduct over the river was due to the small difference in height, not to be realized,
so engineer Urbain Magues erected this building in 1858. It replaced a construction from 1767.
Copyright © 2004 Ingo Schreiber. Home Up Back Castles of Cathars Canal du Midi Travel reports Castles of the Loire Contact